Here, THERMAL= Basics of Thermodynamics+ Power Engineering + Refrigeration & Air conditioning + I.C .Engine
Every time in GATE examinations we get 12 to 15 mark (or more than that also) questions from Thermal. So I am listing the important topics of Thermal
Basics of Thermodynamics-
- Thermodynamic work calculation of various Non-flow process.( Isothermal , adiabatic & polytrophic )
- Free expansion concept.
- Clausius inequality & Carnot efficiency based problems.
- Entropy change calculations of an ideal gas through various process.
- Available energy calculations & Increase in unavailability or decrease in availability.
- Joule Thompson Co-efficient & Clausius clapeyron equation concept.
Power Engineering –
- Brayton & Rankine cycle based problems (including compressor & turbine efficiency)
Refrigeration & Air conditioning-
- Simple COP & Efficiency based problems (2nd law of thermodynamics for cycle based)
- Vapour Compression Refrigeration System (VCRS) problems (mainly COP & Compressor work calculation)
- Specific humidity & Relative humidity formula based problems.
- Otto cycle & Diesel cycle efficiency calculation (Including calorific value, mean effective pressure problems)
- Comparison among Otto, Diesel & Dual cycle (for same compression ratio & maximum temperature