Here, THERMAL= Basics of Thermodynamics+ Power Engineering + Refrigeration Air conditioning + I.C .Engine
Every time in GATE examinations we get 12 to 15 mark (or more than that also) questions from Thermal. So I am listing the important topics of Thermal
Basics of Thermodynamics:
- Thermodynamic work calculation of various Non-flow process.( Isothermal , adiabatic polytrophic )
- Free expansion concept.
- Clausius inequality Carnot efficiency based problems.
- Entropy change calculations of an ideal gas through various process.
- Available energy calculations Increase in unavailability or decrease in availability.
- Joule Thompson Co-efficient Clausius clapeyron equation concept.
- Brayton Rankine cycle based problems (including compressor turbine efficiency)
Refrigeration Air conditioning:
- Simple COP Efficiency based problems (2nd law of thermodynamics for cycle based)
- Vapour Compression Refrigeration System (VCRS) problems (mainly COP Compressor work calculation)
- Specific humidity Relative humidity formula based problems.
- Otto cycle Diesel cycle efficiency calculation (Including calorific value, mean effective pressure problems)
- Comparison among Otto, Diesel Dual cycle (for same compression ratio maximum temperature