All you need to know about GATE Books
For any recipe to succeed, the ingredients should be in perfect quantity and quality. Similarly when you start preparing for your GATE, your study material i.e., GATE preparation book becomes the main ingredient for your success. Since many books are available in the market, it is rather difficult to choose the best GATE book to study from.
If one chooses a poor quality book just by getting attracted to its marketing technique, he is bound to get his fundamentals wrong or incomplete. Imagine where would you land in your career if your fundamental concepts are weak?!
Do not worry! This article is for all those who are unclear about which reference book to study for and lists down the best books for GATE preparation.
Remember the following tips before you invest in the books
- Simple and easy to understand. The best books for GATE are those which are able to explain the technical topics in the simplest form possible for an average student to grasp.
- Consult your mentors and seniors who are experienced enough to guide you correctly.
- The GATE preparation books should provide conceptual clarity.
- Should be capable to clear all your doubts and factually correct.
- There should be no grammatical errors as sometimes they change the meaning of the sentence making it difficult to understand.
- Should incorporate all the recent techniques and concepts.
- The GATE books should use illustrations and images to explain the topics.
- A section of quiz, tricky questions to solve with solutions.
- Points to remember section which highlights the important points to be revised during the last minute of exam like definitions, formulae, etc.
- Should consist of test series and mock test papers.
- Should also cover previous year’s GATE paper on that subject.
For example a GATE Mechanical Engineering books should cover-
- Concise explanation of each concept with conceptual clarity
- MCQ’s/ Quiz
- Test series
- Practice questions with solutions
- Previous year solved papers
- Mock papers
Important Books Suggestions for GATE 2020 Preparation
Gate Preparation Books For Computer Science
IT sector is the most demanding sector for want of software engineers and therefore if you are able to crack GATE, you can be rest assured for a job.
The following books are recommended for computer science
|Algorithms||Cormen/ Clifford Stein|
|Theory of computation||Ullman/Peter Linz|
|The C programming language||Dennis Ritchie/Brian W.Kernighan|
|Database systems||Korth/Elmasri & Navathe|
|Computer networks||Tanenbaum/Keith W Ross|
|Digital Logic||M. Morris Mano|
|Computer organization and architecture||Vranesic, Morris Mano|
|Compiler logic||Ravi Sethi/Ullman/Alfred Aho|
|Mathematics||Kenneth Rosen/B.S. Grewal|
GATE Books For Electrical Engineering
|Power systems||Nagrath & Kothari/Badri Ram/Wadhwa|
|Electrical machines||P.S. Bhimbhra|
|Control systems||M Gopal/Nagrath|
|Electrical Networks/Circuits theory||Chakravarthy|
|Network Analysis||Val Valken Burg|
|Signals and systems||Allan V. Oppenheim/Nawab Hamid|
|Engineering Electromagnetic||W H Hayt/J A Buck|
|Measurements and Instrumentation||A.K. Sawhney|
|Power Electronics||UA Bakshi|
|Solution of Network Analysis||GK Publications|
|Electrical circuits||Charles K. Alexander|
GATE BOOKS FOR CIVIL ENGINEERING
|Structural Engineering||CS Reddy/SK Duggal/BC Punmia/Ashok Jain/Arun Jain|
|Engineering Mathematics||BS Grewal/SS Sastry/Erwin Kreyszig/ RS Aggarwal|
|Soil mechanics and engineering||SK Duggal/ Braja M Das/Gopal Ranjan|
|Fluid Mechanics||Dr PN Modi/ RK Bansal|
|Engineering hydrology||K Subramanya|
|Survey||BC Punmia/Ashok Jain/Arun Jain|
GATE Books For Mechanical Engineering
|Heat transfer||PK Nag/RC Sachdeva|
|Engineering Thermodynamics||Cengel and Boles|
|Strength of Materials||SS Rattan/BC Punmia|
|Fluid Mechanics||RK Bansal/ SK Som|
|Theory of Machines||RS Khurmi/SS Rattan|
|Thermal Science||PK Nag|
|Industrial Engineering||OP Khanna|
|Production Engineering||Amitabh Ghosh|
|Engineering Mathematics||BS Grewal|
|Design of Machine||V Bhandari|
|Mechanical Vibration||GK Grover|
GATE Books For Chemical Engineering
|Chemical Process Design||Costin|
|Chemical reaction engineering||Octave Levenspiel/Robert J Davis/Scott|
|Chemical engineering Thermodynamics||KV Narayan/JM Smith|
|Chemical process calculations||K Asokan/DC Sikdar|
|Fluid mechanics||DS Kumar/Vijay/Santosh/Dr RK Bansal|
|Heat and Mass transfer||Robert.E.Treybal/GK Roy|
|Instrumentation and Process Control||William C Dunn/DR Coughanowr/SK Singh/|
Moreover, some sites also offer GATE 2019 online books for free. Anyone can visit the site and be able to access the books on that site. The site provides E-books, Notes, Previous year’s papers, etc.
Some tips on how to study for GATE
- Study from text books and select one standard reference book.
- Make running notes while you study.
- At times video lectures turn out to be better to understand than the books. Go through such video lectures that simplify technical topics.
- Divide time equally on different subjects.
- Get your doubts clear immediately and do not pile them up for later.
- Solve tests after reading each chapter.
- Solve MCQ’s, quiz, tricky questions based on concepts.
- Solve previous ten years GATE papers and give mock tests.