Graduate Aptitude Test in Engineering-GATE Exam 2022
About GATE 2022 Exam
GATE or GRADUATE APTITUTDE TEST in Engineering is an exam conducted by Various IITs and IISc Since 1984 for Admission to the premier Indian Institute of Technology (IIT and IISc) for M.Tech and Ph.D. Programs. IIT Kharagpur is expected to conduct the GATE 2022 exam as per a rotation rule followed by all IITs. Here we will cover all the details About GATE exam.
- Changes made in GATE 2022.
- Exam Patterns over the years
- Expected important dates for GATE 2022.
- Eligibility criteria, Cut off, Syllabus, and Fees
- How to calculate Score v/s percentile etc. for GATE 2022
- Advantages of Taking GATE apart from Masters or other PG programs.
Major Changes in GATE 2022
- Third year (Pre final year of Engineering) students can also take up GATE. Till GATE 2020 Only final year and pass out students were eligible to take GATE. Now with theannouncement from IIT Bombay, pre final will also be included. This is nothing new for GATE fraternity as prior to 2013 pre final year students were allowed to take up GATE. It was from 2013 to 2020 that the pre final students were not eligible.
- GATE in 27 branches will be conducted with option for few streams to take up two papers. The new branch Added are environmental and humanities.
- Multiple select questions or MSQ added again after almost a decade. In 90’s and early 2000’s GATE used to ask questions which had multiple answers possible. For instance, a Quadratic equation will have two roots and both the answers need to be selected to get marks. If you select only one option and there were more answers possible you won’t get any marks. There is no negative marking for these questions but there is still suspenseon number of questions of MSQ.
- Candidates can apply for GATE exam only through online mode. No other mode for filling the application form shall be entertained or permitted by the authority.
- GATE exam will test the comprehensive understanding of the candidates in different UG subjects in engineering/technology/architecture and PG-level subjects in science respectively.
- Validity of the GATE score is 3 years from the date of announcement of results. This is only for Admission Masters or Ph.D. programmes. For PSU jobs only the current year score will be valid.
- For availing financial assistance (scholarship/assistance ship), candidates need to secure admission to a program in one of the central government supported institutes. The procedure for admission might vary according to the institutes.
GATE 2022 Important Dates
The tentative dates for GATE exam are provided below-
|Online application form releasing||1st week of September 2022|
|Last date to submit the online form||4th week of September 2022|
|Application correction window||Last week of September 2022|
|Last date to register (with late fee)||1st week of October 2022|
|Admit card releasing date||1st week of January 2022|
|Exam date||1st and 2nd week of February 2022|
|Answer key releasing||3rd week of February 2022|
|Result publication||3rd week of March 2022|
|Scorecard releasing date||Last week of March 2022|
Get GATE 2022 Exam Updates through e-mail, by entering your details below.
GATE 2022 Exam Pattern
The tentative exam pattern for GATE 2022 is as follow:
|Exam mode||Computer-based mode|
|Medium of instructions||English|
|Type of questions||Multiple choice questions (MCQ),
Multiple select question (MSQ), and
Numerical answers type (NAT)
|Total number of papers||27 papers|
|Total number of questions||65 questions|
|Marking scheme||There are 1 marker and two marker questions|
|Negative marking||For questions carrying 1 mark, 1/3 marks will be deducted and for those carrying 2 marks, 2/3 marks will be deducted.
Negative marking not applicable for NAT questions and MSQ Questions
GATE has changed its exam pattern over the Years but since many years it is consistent with the above 65 Question paper pattern. The syllabus of GATE has not changed much in the Past 36 years of GATE history and hence many concepts are repeated in GATE.
Normally GATE does not repeat questions from previous year papers but it does repeat concepts and hence it is important to solve at least 10 or 20 years Past Papers and learn the concepts asked in those papers.
Solve GATE previous years’ papers Here!
GATE Cut Off Marks:
- The cut-off marks for GATE is in The Range of 25 to 35 marks (for General category). The cut off varies as per the difficulty level of The paper as well as the Number of candidates appearing for the paper in That year. More over branch to branch the cut off is different. Looking at competition the cut off in Mechanical, Computer science, etc. sometimes crosses 32 marks.
- This cut off signifies a stipend of 12400/- per month in case you take admission for masters at any of the AICTE approved college or University.
- The GATE cut off for various PSU or top IIT goes upto 75+ Marks In few branches. A score of 35+ is Just qualifying but does not make us eligible for admission to IIT or get an interview call from PSU. A score of 50+ is considered to be good to get an NIT.
- The following table explains a tentative cut off range for general category students. This reduces for OBC, SC,ST category. Moreover, this is cut off for top course in that institute. A not so popular course at top IIT may have a lower cut off too.
|Absolute score out of 100||GATE Score out Of 1000|
- In order to know The cut off of colleges and Courses at various IIT please see the following link.
- GATE College Predictor!
GATE 2022 Syllabus
The syllabus of GATE exam is based on the UG syllabus of the concerned discipline in which a candidate has earned his/her degree. Given below are some of the key topics (for some disciplines) the candidates must study for the exam-
Know branch wise detailed syllabus: GATE Exam 2022 Syllabus
- General Aptitude:This paper will be common to all the papers and will include English grammar, reading comprehension, sentence correction, word groups, data interpretation, verbal reasoning etc.
- Aerospace Engineering (AE): Engineering mathematics, structures, flight mechanics, space dynamics, aerodynamics, propulsion.
- Chemical Engineering (CH): Engineering mathematics, process calculations and thermodynamics, fluid mechanics and mechanical operations, etc.
- Mechanical Engineering (ME): Engineering mathematics, applied mechanics and design, fluid mechanics and thermal sciences, materials, manufacturing, and industrial engineering, etc.
- Petroleum Engineering (PE): Calculus, linear algebra, differential equations, complex variables, probability and statistics, numerical methods, petroleum exploration, oil and gas drilling technology, reservoir engineering, petroleum production operations, oil and gas well testing, health safety and environment in petroleum industry, enhanced oil recovery techniques etc.
- Computer Science and Information Technology (CS): Engineering mathematics, digital logic, computer organization and architecture, programming and data structures, algorithms, theory of computation, compiler design, operating system, databases, computer networks etc.
Application form GATE 2022
The GATE application form is normally released from 1st week of September. The students need to fill the following details:
- Personal details: Name, Email Id, father’s name, Mobile number.
- Academic details: College, Branch of engineering, which branch you wish to take exam etc.
- Documents: Photo, Signature, category certificate(optional)
How to fill GATE Application Form
- For exam centres in India
|FOR EXAMINATION CENTERS IN INDIA||APPLICATION FEE||DURING THE EXTENDED PERIOD|
|Female candidates||Rs. 750||Rs. 1250|
|SC/ST/PwD* category candidates||Rs. 750||Rs. 1250|
|All other candidates||Rs. 1500||Rs. 2000|
- For exam centres outside India
|For Examination Centers outside India (All Candidates)|
|Addis Ababa, Colombo, Dhaka and Kathmandu||US$ 50||US$ 70|
|Dubai and Singapore||US$ 100||US$ 120|
- Note: The payment of the stated application fee can be paid online using the credit card, net banking and debit card.
Eligibility Criteria of GATE 2022
Candidates must satisfy the eligibility conditions laid down by the authority in order to appear in the exam. The eligibility criteria for taking the GATE exam is as follows-
- Nationality: Indian and foreign nationals are eligible to apply for the GATE examination.
Educational qualification as per the qualifying degrees
|Qualifying exam||Qualifying exam/degree||Candidate’s description||Year of qualification (not later than)|
|B.E/B.Tech/B.Pharma||Candidates should have done B.Tech after 10+2 or hold a 3 year bachelor’s degree after B.Sc /Diploma in Engineering/Technology||Completed or appearing||2022|
|B.Arch||Candidates should have done 5 years of B.Arch course||Completed or appearing||2022|
|B.Sc (Research)/B.S||Candidates should possess a bachelor’s degree in science (post-diploma/4 years after 10+2)||Completed or appearing||2022|
|Pharma.D||Candidates should have done 6 years of program including internship or residency training during 6th year||Currently in 4th/5th/ 6th year or completed||2023|
|M.Sc/M.A/MCA or equivalent||A Master’s degree in any branch of Science/Mathematics/Statistics/Computer Application or equivalent is required||Completed or appearing||2022|
|Integrated M.E/M.Tech or dual degree||Integrated master’s degree or dual degree in engineering/technology||Currently in 4th/5th year or completed||2022|
Note: Candidates who have obtained/are pursuing their qualifying degree from countries other than India:
- Must have completed or are in the final year of their Bachelor’s degree in Engineering and Technology.
- Must have completed or are in the final year of their Post Graduate (Master’s) degree in any relevant subjects in science.
GATE 2022 Admit card
- Candidates can download the admit card of GATE 2022 from the official website using their login ID and password.
- No hall tickets will be sent to the candidates individually or otherwise.
- Applicants need to keep a printout copy of their admit card and preserve it for future purpose.
- Entry to the exam hall will be denied to the candidates who do not possess a valid hall ticket.
- Along with the admit card, candidates also need to carry a valid ID proof (passport, pan card, voter id, Aadhar card, college id, employee id and driving license) to the exam hall.
- The details in the admit card should be thoroughly checked and discrepancies should be reported immediately if found.
GATE 2022 Result
- The result of GATE 2022 will most probably be published on the GOAPS portal in the 3rd week of March 2022.
- GATE score will be valid for duration of 3 years from the date of announcement of results.
- Applicants can check their result and download the scorecard by logging into the official web portal of the GOAPS.
- Candidates can apply directly to the institute they in which they seek admission based on the GATE score secured by them.
- Based on the GATE scores, many government and private colleges/universities will organize their own counselling procedure to shortlist the candidates for admission in the relevant master’s program.
How GATE SCORE is calculated
Attach The score calculation formula
- The GATE score will be computed using the formula given below:
- M= Marks Obtained by the Candidate (Actual marks for single session papers and normalized marks for multi-session papers)
- Mq: is the qualifying marks for general category candidate in the paper
- Mt: is the mean of marks of top 0.1% or top 10 (whichever is larger) of the candidates who appeared in the paper (in case of multi-session papers including all sessions)
- Sq: 350, is the score assigned to Mq
- St: 900, is the score assigned to
Predict your GATE 2022 Score here!
Other Advantages of GATE
- Any GATE qualified is eligible for stipend of Rs.12400/- per month from MHRD.
- In case of PhD the stipend varies from 22k to 24k per month. Also the candidate may be eligible for Prime Minister Research Fund (PMRF) of 70k per year for first three years and 125k per year after that to continue his/her research.
- A Valid GATE score can be Your ticket to Top PSU like ONGC, DRDO, NTPC, HPCL etc.
- GATE score is also advantages to avail scholarship at various countries like Germany, New Zealand, Singapore etc.
- MBA from NITIE Mumbai in production or industrial management is possible through GATE score. Average package of NITIE currently is over 20 lakhs.
- GATE preparation not only helps you to crack GATE but also any other technical exam like ISRO exam, BARC exam, Coal India limited, SSC junior engineer exam
- Students normally do GATE preparation for building concepts and Hence are able to crack private company’s interview and Technical tests too. Exams like Industrial Proficiency Aptitude Test (IPATE) conducted by CII is having most of its syllabus as GATE. Private exams like AMCAT, or E litmus for tech jobs also tests you on concepts from GATE syllabus.
GATE Online Mock Test
If you wish to get a hands-on experience of how our coaching program works, you can now request a completely free live demo