GATE 2020 Information and Details
GATE 2020 is coming up! We have compiled a list of necessary information for prospective candidates who plan to participate in the Graduate Aptitude Test in Engineering 2020.
Candidates must sit and score for GATE in order to proceed to the next stage of their studies, specifically admission into a masters and direct doctoral programs in the fields of engineering, architecture, and technology, as well as relevant branches of science. Organized by the IITs and IISc, Bangalore on a rotation basis, GATE 2020 is a national level exam.
Check out what you need to do and the latest details of the examination and how to apply for GATE exam on this page for GATE 2020 that has been divided into easy to read sections, like exam dates, registration process, applicable fees, eligibility criteria, examination format that includes pre and post, syllabus and tips for GATE preparation.
How to fill GATE Application form
GATE KI BAAT With Rohan Sir
What is GATE?
GATE-Graduate Aptitude Test in Engineering (GATE) is an all India competitive examination for Engineers from various backgrounds administered and conducted jointly by the IISc Bangalore and Seven IITs.
It is mainly coordinated by Ministry of Human resource Development (MHRD).
These institutes monitor the conduction of the exam and every year any one IIT/IISc takes the responsibility for the conduction of the same.
The GATE score shows the relative performance level of a candidate.
The GATE score/rank is used for admissions to Post Graduate Programmes (ME, M.Tech, MS, Direct Ph.D.) in institutes like IITs and IISc etc with financial assistance offered by MHRD.
GATE score is also being accepted by several Indian public sector undertakings for various prestigious jobs with attractive remuneration.
GATE is conducted in 23 disciplines as given below. A candidate can choose any one of them.
GATE 2020 will be conducted in the subjects or papers as shown in Table below. Candidates must familiarize with the paper code for the paper of their choice, as this would be required at the time of submission of application form and appearing for the examination. A candidate is allowed to appear in ONLY ONE paper.
GATE Papers and the Paper Codes for GATE 2020
|GATE Paper||Code||GATE Paper||Code|
|Aerospace Engineering||AE||Geology and Geophysics||GG|
|Agricultural Engineering||AG||Instrumentation Engineering||IN|
|Architecture and Planning||AR||Mathematics||MA|
|Civil Engineering||CE||Mining Engineering||MN|
|Chemical Engineering||CH||Metallurgical Engineering||MT|
|Computer Science and Information Technology||CS||Petroleum Engineering||PE|
|Electronics and Communication Engineering||EC||Production and Industrial Engineering||PI|
|Electrical Engineering||EE||Textile Engineering and Fibre Science||TF|
|Ecology and Evolution||EY||Engineering Sciences||XE*|
|*XE Paper Sections||Code||*XL Paper Sections||Code|
|Engineering Mathematics (Compulsory)||A||Chemistry(Compulsory)||H|
|Polymer Science and Engineering||F||Food Technology||M|
GATE is also known as Graduate Aptitude Test In Engineering. It is one the most important competitive examination which an engineer has to go through in order to get into post graduation degree from their dream college.
Facts about GATE –
- It is an all India entrance exams conducted in various disciplines of engineering.
- GATE is assisted by Ministry of Human Resource development and eight zones across the nation
- It needs to qualify for getting post-graduate programmes such as ME, M.Tech, MS and much more
- GATE aspirant can give exam on only one discipline from given 23 papers.
Why GATE 2019 OR GATE 2020?
- Students can get into IITs, IISCs and NITs with GATE score
- The students who are willing into pursuing management course van freely start after post-graduation degree
- Many top institutes offer admission to GATE pass out students.
- Campus placement
- Salary package ranging from 8 to 30lakhs
GATE eligibility –
Students who are willing to sit for upcoming GATE 2019 or gate 2020 must go through the eligibility criteria as per the respective notifications.
Every student who is dedicated and working hard to make their career in the engineering fields and are willing to get GATE 2020 online coaching; Onlineicegate is the ultimate solution.
Being a pioneer in the field of providing best GATE coaching all over the nation; we are known for our well-experience teaching faculty, complete set of GATE books and test series, video lectures, pen-drive lectures and live coaching. Do not worry about anything we are ready with GATE 2020 syllabus and to make you get glorifying marks in upcoming GATE exams.
The score is used for admissions to various post-graduate education programs.
Better remuneration is being offered for students of M.Tech/M.E as compared to those pursuing B.Tech /B.E.
Students who qualify in GATE are entitled to a stipend of Rs 12,400 per month during their M.Tech course.
GATE scores are also being used by several Indian public sector undertakings.
There are total 217 Public sector units.
A good GATE rank assures a good job. After joining M.Tech. at IITs and IISc, one can look at a salary package ranging from Rs 7 lakh to 30 lakh per annum, depending upon specialisation and performance.
Benefits of appearing for the GATE exam
- Get admission in top institutes of India like IITs, IISC, IIITs, NITs and many other well renowned
- Several reputed PSUs and research organizations recruits on the basis of GATE Score. i.e. IOCL, NTPC, BHEL, PGCIL, BARC etc.
- Many PSUs (Public Sector Undertakings) like HAL, BARC, IOCL, PGCIL etc. give importance to GATE score.
- The candidates who qualify GATE are also eligible for the award of Junior Research Fellowship in CSIR (Council of Scientific and Industrial Research) Laboratories and various other sponsored projects of CSIR.
- Career in Research & Development
- Technical value addition
- Expertise in subject/domain specialization
GATE 2020 Exam Dates
As of now, dates for GATE 2020 examination are not yet confirmed. However, we have general estimates on the actual dates, GATE exam dates will be continuously updated as official information is released.
|GATE 2020 Online Application Form Opens||1st week of September 2018|
|Last Date for Submission of Application||1st week of October 2018|
|Last Date for Requesting Change of Examination City||3rd week of November 2018|
|Admit Card Downloading Starts||1st week of January 2020|
|GATE Aptitude Test||1st week of February 2020|
|Answer Key Release||Within a few days after examination|
|Announcement of Results||3rd week of March 2020|
|Score Card Release||4th week of March 2020|
|Counseling Starts||1st week of April 2020|
GATE 2020 Eligibility Criteria
A measure of eligibility criteria must be met to qualify for GATE 2020. Please ensure you meet these requirements before filling in any application forms. The main criteria are:
- Any Indian national, or Foreign National, may sit for the exam.
- There is no age limitation.
|Qualifying Exam||Description about Qualifying Exam||Description of Eligible Candidates||Passing Year|
|B.Tech/BE/B.Pharm||4 years Bachelor’s degree holders in Engineering/Technology after 10+2 examination.|
3 years Bachelor’s degree holders after B.Sc./Diploma in Engineering/Technology.
|Pursuing the final year or already completed.||2020|
|B.Arch||5 years Bachelor’s degree holders of Architecture.||Pursuing the final year or already completed.||2020|
|B.Sc (Research)/BS||Bachelor’s degree in Science after Post diploma.|
4 years Bachelor’s degree in Science after 10+2.
|Pursuing the 4th year or already completed.||2020|
|M.Sc/MA/MCA or equivalent||Master’s degree in any branch of Science/Mathematics/Statistics/Computer Applications or equivalent.||Pursuing the final year or already completed.||2020|
|Integrated ME/M.Tech (Post-B.Sc)||4 years Post-B.Sc Integrated Master’s degree program in Engineering/Technology.||Pursuing the 2nd/3rd/4th year or already completed.||2021|
|Integrated ME/M.Tech or Dual Degree (after Diploma or 10+2)||5 years Integrated Master’s degree program or Dual Degree program in Engineering/Technology.||Pursuing the 4th/5th year or already completed.||2020|
|Integrated M.Sc/Integrate BS-MS||Integrated M.Sc.|
5 years Integrated BS-MS program.
|Pursuing the final year or already completed.||2020|
|Professional Society Examinations (equivalent to BE/B.Tech/B.Arch)||BE/B.Tech/B.Arch equivalent examinations of Professional Societies, recognized by MHRD/UPSC/AICTE (example: AMIE by Institution of Engineers-India, AMICE by the Institute of Civil Engineers-India)||Completed Section A or equivalent of such professional courses.||NA|
GATE Exam Pattern
This is a list of information about the GATE 2020 examinations pattern.
- 23 subjects/papers will be conducted as part of GATE exams 2020.
- Exam medium is a computer-based test (online).
- MCQs and Numerical category question will be asked in the exams.
- Candidates may only attempt one (1) paper for the GATE 2020 exams.
- Exam sessions will be divided into two (2), forenoon (9:00 AM to 12:00 Noon) & afternoon (2:00 PM to 5:00 PM).
- The GATE examination will take 3 hours.
- 65 questions on a subject will be tested.
- The total marks for a paper is 100 marks.
- The section on General Aptitude (GA) must be completed.
|Pattern of Questions||Marks Allotted||Negative Marking|
|Multiple Choice Questions (MCQ)||1 or 2 marks||For 1 mark question, 1/3 marks will be deducted.|
For 2 marks question, 2/3 mark will be deducted.
|Numerical Answer Type (NAT)||1 or 2 marks||No negative marking|
Marks and Questions Distribution:
|Sections||Number of Questions Marks||Total Number of Questions||Total Marks|
|General Aptitude (GA)||5 Question carrying 1- mark each 5 question carrying 2-marks each.||10||15|
|Question Papers other than GG, XE and XL||25 questions carrying 1-mark each 30 questions carrying 2-marks each.||55||85|
|Question Paper GG (Geology and Geophysics)||PART A (Compulsory)||PART B||55||85|
|25 questions carrying 1-mark each.||Section 1 (Geology) Section 2 (Geophysics) (Attempt Any One):|
30 questions carrying 2-marks each.
|XE Paper (Engineering Sciences)||Section A Engineering Mathematics (Compulsory):||Sections B to H: (Attempt Any Two)||55||85|
|7 questions carrying 1-mark each 4 questions carrying 2-marks each.||9 questions carrying 1-mark each 13 questions carrying 2-marks.|
|XL Paper (Life Sciences)||Section P Chemistry (Compulsory):||Sections Q to U: (Attempt Any Two)||55||85|
|5 questions carrying 1-mark each 10 questions carrying 2-marks each.||10 questions carrying 1-mark each 10 questions carrying 2-marks each.|
GATE 2020 Syllabus
GATE 2020 comprises 23 different subjects/papers in the field of engineering, architecture, and technology. Each syllabus for each subject is different. The conducting authority will release the official syllabus for each subject in PDF format. The papers and details of syllabus are:
- General Aptitude (GA):Verbal Ability & Numerical Ability.
- Aerospace Engineering (AE):Engineering Mathematics, Flight Mechanics, Space Dynamics, Aerodynamics, Structures, Propulsion.
- Agricultural Engineering (AG):Engineering Mathematics, Farm Machinery, Farm Power, Soil and Water Conservation Engineering, Irrigation and Drainage Engineering, etc.
- Architecture and Planning (AR):Architecture and Design, Building Materials, Construction and Management, Building and Structure, Environmental Planning and Design, etc.
- Biotechnology (BT):Engineering Mathematics, General Biotechnology, Recombinant DNA Technology, Plant and Animal Biotechnology, etc.
- Civil Engineering (CE): Engineering Mathematics, Structural Engineering, Structural Engineering, Geotechnical Engineering, etc.
- Chemical Engineering (CH):Engineering Mathematics, Process Calculations and Thermodynamics, Fluid Mechanics and Mechanical Operations, etc.
- Computer Science and Information Technology (CS): Engineering Mathematics, Digital Logic, Computer Organization and Architecture, Programming and Data Structures, etc.
- Chemistry (CY):Physical Chemistry, Inorganic Chemistry & Organic Chemistry.
- Electronics and Communication Engineering (EC):Engineering Mathematics, Networks, Signals and Systems, Electronic Devices, Analog Circuits, Digital Circuits, etc.
- Electrical Engineering (EE):Engineering Mathematics, Electric Circuits, Electromagnetic Fields, Signals and Systems, Electrical Machines, etc.
- Ecology and Evolution (EY):Ecology, Evolution, Mathematics and Quantitative Ecology, Behavioural Ecology, etc.
- Geology and Geophysics (GG):Common Section (Earth and Planetary system, Weathering and soil formation, etc), Geology & Geophysics.
- Instrumentation Engineering (IN): Engineering Mathematics, Electrical Circuits, Signals and Systems, Control Systems, etc.
- Mathematics (MA):Linear Algebra, Complex Analysis, Real Analysis, Algebra, Functional Analysis, Numerical Analysis, etc.
- Mechanical Engineering (ME):Engineering Mathematics, Applied Mechanics and Design, Fluid Mechanics and Thermal Sciences, etc.
- Mining Engineering (MN):Engineering Mathematics, Mine Development and Surveying, Geomechanics and Ground Control, etc.
- Metallurgical Engineering (MT):Engineering Mathematics, Thermodynamics and Rate Processes, Extractive Metallurgy, etc.
- Petroleum Engineering (PE):Linear Algebra, Petroleum Formation Evaluation, Oil and Gas Well Testing, etc.
- Physics (PH):Mathematical Physics, Classical Mechanics, Electromagnetic Theory, Thermodynamics and Statistical Physics, etc.
- Production and Industrial Engineering (PI):Engineering Mathematics, General Engineering, Manufacturing Processes I, Quality and Reliability, etc.
- Textile Engineering and Fibre Science (TF):Engineering Mathematics, Textile Fibers, Fabric manufacture, Structure and Properties, etc.
- Engineering Mathematics (XE-A), Fluid Mechanics (XE-B), Materials Science (XE-C), Solid Mechanics (XE-D), Thermodynamics (XE-E), Polymer Science and Engineering (XE-F), Food Technology (XE-G), Atmospheric and Oceanic Sciences (XE-H).
- Chemistry (XL-P), Biochemistry (XL-Q), Botany (XL-R), Microbiology (XL-S), Zoology (XL-T) & Food Technology (XL-U).
GATE Preparation Tips
To score well, here are some tips for candidates in the run-up to the GATE 2020 examinations.
- Practice on past year question paper and sample papers.
- Pick suitable study material (reference books, notes) as part of your GATE exam preparations.
- Have an in-depth understanding of all the basic concepts, exam format, and syllabus for your subject of choice.
- Organize your time well using a proper study schedule and use it to cover all your bases.
- Stay healthy and focused.
- Online mock tests are extremely useful to practice on.
- Topic revision is vital for refreshing your memory.
GATE Online Mock Test
If you wish to get a hands-on experience of how our coaching program works, you can now request a completely free live demo
GATE 2020 Admit Card
Here we will explain details regarding the GATE 2020 admit card
- Examination candidates can get the admit card online by inputting enrolment ID/email address and password.
- There is no possibility to get admit cards for the exams via post or email.
- GATE Hall Ticket 2020 can be downloaded by the first week of January 2020.
- Prior to your GATE 2020 exams, a biometric confirmation will be taken randomly, by fingerprint and photograph.
- You must bring the original copy of your ID as specified in the application, along with the admit card on the day of the exams.
- Admit card must be downloaded in color print.
GATE 2020 Answer Key
All answer keys will be published after the GATE 2020 examinations, usually in a few days. Each subject will have a different answer key release date. Candidates can check it online on the website.
GATE Result 2020
This section is to enlighten candidates on GATE 2020 results.
- All results will only be announced online through the website.
- Candidates can check their GATE 2020 result by the 3rd week of March 2020.
- Enter your enrolment number/registration number and date of birth to access your results.
- Results will NOT be sent offline or by mail to any candidates.
GATE 2020 Score Card
After the release of official GATE 2020 results, the scorecard will be available but only for qualified candidates.
- The GATE 2020 scorecard is valid for three years after the official results announcement.
- Qualified candidates can download the scorecard by the 4th week of March 2020.
- Soft copy of the score card after the last date will be charged RS. 500 up until the last week of December 2020.
GATE 2020 Cut Off
The cut-off marks are the minimum marks candidates need to obtain from the GATE 2020 exams for the required admission into all PG and other courses. Cut off marks will only be released after the official result announcement for GATE admissions, published online according to papers and subjects.
- It is the minimum marks which candidates have to obtain in the examination to get admission into various PG & other courses.
- Cut off will be published through online method according to the categories & papers.
- Below, previous year qualifying cut off marks are shared:
|Chemical Engineering (CH)||44.3||39.8||29.5|
|Mechanical Engineering (ME)||32.87||29||21|
|Civil Engineering (CE)||28.7||25.8||19.1|
|Electrical Engineering (EE)||25.2||25.2||16.7|
|Electronics and Communication Engineering (EC)||25||22.5||16.6|
|Computer Science and Information Technology (CS)||25||22.5||16.6|
GATE Counseling 2020
- All candidates must apply separately for each IIT.
- There will be no centralized counseling services by the relevant authorities for PG courses admission.
- For admission to all NITs as well as centrally funded institutions, a CCMT (Centralized Counseling for M.Tech/M.Arch/M.Plan admissions) will be conducted for eligible candidates.
- Candidates with valid GATE scorecard from 2017, 2018 and 2020 can apply for counseling.
- GATE 2020 Counseling sessions will begin online in April 2020.
- During counseling registration, candidates must fill in their preferred choice of colleges and courses.
- Seat allotment will be subject to rank, filled choices, category and availability of seats, as well as other extenuating criteria.
Request FREE Live Demo
If you wish to get a hands-on experience of how our coaching program works, you can now request a completely free live demo